Naperville Youth Rugby was started to promote the sport at the junior high level. This co-ed program started with 17 players, all new to the sport.
We named the team the Crusaders after the 2017 champion team from New Zealand, Canterbury Crusaders.
Our philosophy is very much centered on youth development through sport and teaching rugby in a positive and encouraging environment. We welcome players of any ability level and virtually all kids come into the program with zero experience or knowledge of rugby. We are very flexible to work with you around other commitments in order to introduce rugby to as many new players as possible.
“…would like to tell you how much I appreciate you being our coach last year. What an awesome introduction to rugby. I don’t think that I have ever seen a better program than the one you ran, and can’t thank you enough for letting us be part of it.”
- Founded 2009: with one side of 7th and 8th graders. 17 players & 2 coaches
- 2010: Expanded to two sides. Won inaugural iYRA State Championship.
- 2011 – 2014: Maintained 2 to 3 playing sides. iYRA Finalists or Semi-finalists each season.
- 2012: Juniors (5th/6th grade) added. Seniors (7th/8th grade) maintain competitive schedule.
- 2013: Rookie Rugby (1st – 4th grade) added. 30+ participants 1st year. Intro to rugby via non-contact flag format. U15 State Champions.
- 2014: 3 Juniors and 6 Seniors selected to the iYRA All-State teams
- 2015: U15 wins State! U13 takes 3rd in State!
- 2015: Six U15 players selected for All-State honors and win the Rugby 7’s Regional Cup Tournament playing for Rugby Illinois Hurricanes South.
- 2017: U15 State Champions! U13 State Runners-up!
- 2018: U13 State Champions! U15 State Runners-up!
- 2019: U13 D2 State Champions! U15 took 3rd place in D1 State Playoffs!
You must be logged in to post a comment.